SUGAR LAND PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYER
Serving Victims of Pedestrian Accidents Throughout Houston
Each year hundreds of people are killed and thousands are injured in pedestrian accidents throughout Texas. The state regularly ranks among the top in the country for the number of pedestrians killed in traffic accidents and unfortunately, the data is not trending in the right direction.
At The Karam Law Office, our lawyers represent individuals who have been injured or lost a loved one in pedestrian accidents throughout Sugar Land, TX, and the greater Houston area. We have extensive experience helping people obtain the largest recovery possible after an accident. If you or a loved one are injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our office at (832) 859-8453 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents are surprisingly widespread throughout Texas. According to findings from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), pedestrian deaths account for 1 in 5 of all traffic fatalities. Data shows that over 840 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle accidents in a single year, and another nearly 1,500 were seriously injured.
Tragically, many pedestrian accidents are severe. Even a low-speed collision can cause catastrophic, life-threatening injuries because pedestrians have no form of protection when hit by a moving vehicle. In the unimaginable event that you are struck by a car or injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to speak with an attorney. Depending on the circumstances of the case, you might be entitled to compensation for your accident-related losses.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents?
There may be several contributing factors to pedestrian accidents, but they are often the result of negligence or recklessness.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, some of the leading causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Driver distraction
- Motorists failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
- Pedestrians failing to yield the right-of-way to motorists
Other factors may include driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol, failing to stop at a stop sign or traffic light, and reckless driving. Regardless of the circumstances of your case, it is still important that you consult with a Sugar Land pedestrian accident lawyer before making any statements or signing anything.
What Kinds of Injuries Occur in a Pedestrian Accident?
What Should I Do If I Am Involved in a Pedestrian Accident?
Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to serious injury or death because they have little to no protection. A person walking is simply no match for a 4,000 lbs vehicle. Any time that you are involved in a pedestrian accident, you need to seek medical attention as some injuries may not be readily apparent.
Injuries that commonly occur in pedestrian accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones and fractures
- Head and neck trauma
- Spinal cord injuries
- Abdominal injuries
- Internal bleeding or damage to internal organs
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Chest and lung damage
In the immediate aftermath of a sudden collision, your pain may be deceiving. Your body will likely be in shock unable to determine the severity of the trauma. Seeking medical attention as soon as possible can help ensure that you receive a proper diagnosis as well as the care and treatment you need.
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident in Sugar Land, TX, or the greater Houston area, you need to act quickly as you only have a limited amount of time to file a claim for damages.
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to:
- Contact 9-1-1. Any motor vehicle accidents causing injury should be reported to law enforcement. Notify the dispatcher that there were injuries to yourself or someone else so that they can send emergency medical personnel to the scene.
- Collect evidence. If you are able, take pictures and videos at the scene of the collision. You can also ask for contact information for any involved parties and witnesses.
- Seek medical attention. If you are seriously injured, you will likely be transported by ambulance to a local hospital. However, if you are not taken to the emergency room you should still get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. Failing to get medical attention can impact your recovery.
- Contact a Sugar Land pedestrian accident lawyer. Before making any statements to an insurance adjuster or accepting a settlement, you should always speak with an experienced Sugar Land pedestrian accident lawyer. They can help you determine your legal options including whether you are eligible for compensation.
In Texas, you generally only have two years from the date of your accident to file a claim for personal injury. Failure to file a claim within this statute of limitations can result in your case being denied or dismissed.
Injured in a Pedestrian Accident? Contact Our Office.
If you or a loved one were injured in a pedestrian accident in Sugar Land, contact our office at (832) 859-8453 to schedule a free consultation.
Our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on behalf of injured parties throughout Texas. Do not settle for less than your claim is worth. Call now to get started.