(832) 859-8453

Who Can Be Held Legally Responsible If I Am Injured by a Drunk Driver

Drunk driving remains a leading cause of fatal car accidents nationwide. Thousands of people are killed in drunk driving accidents each year. Despite law enforcement campaigns to end DUI crashes, numerous people will be seriously injured or killed as a result of these accidents in Texas this year.

At The Karam Law Office, we represent individuals who have been hurt in drunk driving accidents in Houston or the surrounding areas. Our law firm will help fight to ensure that all liable parties are held accountable for their actions. We work tirelessly to get the largest recovery possible for our clients and will not rest until justice is served. 

If you have been injured in a DUI crash in Texas, contact our office at (832) 859-8453 to schedule a free consultation.

Who Can Be Held Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident in Texas?

In most cases, the drunk driver can be held liable if they caused the accident that resulted in your injuries. However, there may be other parties that can be held legally responsible as well. In order to determine who you should file a claim against, you need to speak directly with a car accident lawyer today. 

Can I Hold an Alcohol Provider Liable for a DUI Accident?

According to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, a provider of alcohol may be held liable under certain circumstances if the person they provided alcohol to injures or kills another person. Referred to as a Dram Shop Law, this portion of the Alcoholic Beverage Code imposes civil liability on an alcohol provider if they provide alcohol to an obviously intoxicated person.

An obviously intoxicated person is someone that is intoxicated to the extent that they present a danger to themselves or others. Additionally, the person’s intoxication must have been a proximate cause of the damages in the case.

What If a Minor Is Served Alcohol and Causes an Accident?

In some instances, a person may be held liable if they are over the age of 21 years old and serve or provide alcoholic beverages to someone under the age of 18 who then causes damages as a result of their intoxication.

To be liable, the person must:

  • Be over the age of 21;
  • Not be the minor’s parent (guardian) or spouse;
  • Have knowingly served or provided alcohol to the minor or allowed them to be served on the property they own or lease.

Establishing third-party liability in a drunk driving case is challenging without the help of an attorney. It is important to consult with a lawyer as early in the process as possible.

How We Can Help

At The Karam Law Office, our lawyers are well-versed in helping secure favorable settlements and verdicts on behalf of drunk-driving victims throughout Texas. Our firm recently represented a young man hospitalized in a DUI crash. He sustained serious injuries in the collision, including a concussion and harm throughout his body. We were able to obtain a confidential policy limits settlement on his behalf. 

Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident? Contact Our Office.

Were you or someone you know injured in a drunk driving crash in Houston or the surrounding areas? Our firm can help. Contact our office at (832) 859-8453 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. There are never any fees unless we win. Call now to speak directly with a skilled member of our legal team.